Remember those sweet, crunchy, and round cookies grandma used to bake? You know, the ones completely covered in powdered sugar? Full of festiveness and nostalgia, these delicious pure balls of bliss are inspired by multiple cultures – think Russian Tea Cakes or Italian Wedding Cookies. Now, you can find these cookies in many households across the U.S. on Christmas Eve and Day, and they are just as beloved for their buttery taste and soft, nutty texture. If you’re ready to get started with baking this delicious holiday treat – just like Meme once did – take a look at the ingredients and method below!
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 Tbsp cornstarch
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, for coating
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 20 seconds. Blend in 1/2 cup powdered sugar and salt. Mix in vanilla.
2. Sprinkle cornstarch over mixture, then with mixer set on low speed, slowly add in flour and mix just until combined. Stir in pecans.
3. Scoop dough out one tablespoon at a time and roll into a ball, then place balls on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for 13 - 15 minutes, until bottom edges are lightly golden.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes then while cookies are still warm, pour 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar into a bowl and roll cookies in powdered sugar.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then once cookies are cool, roll in powdered sugar once more, this time generously coating them. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Master the art of baking by joining Tens on West Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia in learning brand-new recipes. Not only will you impress your family and friends, but you will also enjoy a wider repertoire of culinary favorites.